This virtual instructor-led course is delivered live and online in four 4-hour sessions.
Created by the industry and for the industry, this course was developed by CCA to break down the complexity of the industry. You’ll get valuable insight into the various industry stakeholders and their roles/responsibilities, construction documents and contracts, risk management, bidding and tendering, construction law, and so much more!
This course was updated in 2020 and is mandatory for the "Foreman" Gold Seal designation!
Don't be misled by the '101' – whether you're an industry novice or seasoned veteran this course has something for everyone! Perfect for procurement professionals and buyers, developing leaders, as well as operations and administrative staff. Learn how you can help your company be more efficient and effective!!!
- Introduction to construction industry
- Major steps in a construction project
- Risk management
- Bid documents
- Contract law
- Receiving bids and award of contract
- Format of contracts and contract clauses
- Project start up to close out
9 modules and 166 topics...click on Construction 101 for a detailed course outline!
Prior to the course a short orientation session will be scheduled by your course instructor using Zoom. During the orientation, your instructor will go over the Zoom tools you will be using during the course, expectations and course materials.
This course requires full face-to-face interaction and participation from both the instructor and students.
In order to attend, you’ll must ensure you have the following:
- Computer or laptop - This course will involve on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content (slides or videos), and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, cell-phones or tablets will not be adequate. Windows 10 or Mac iOS
- For a full list of Zoom’s requirements click here
- Webcam - Student webcams must be on at all times. Use of virtual backgrounds is not permitted.
- Group Attendance - Group attendance via one paid registration is not permitted. Every person able to see, hear, and observe the virtual course sessions must be a paid participant.
- Microphone - required.
- Internet connection - For best results, you’ll want to ensure you have an internet connection with an upload/download speed of 3-5 Mbps. You can test your internet speed here.
- The minimum recommended speed is 1.5 Mbps, but anything below 3 Mbps may result in loss of quality or buffering. Ideally hardwired connection versus wireless for stability - connect your computer directly to your router using an ethernet cable, rather than using your home wi-fi.
- A quiet space with minimal distractions - microphone will be engaged for interactive sessions. Please plan to be fully engaged in the class, and clear your work schedule just as you would for the in-class program.
- Tuesday, Nov. 23 - 7:30 - 11:45 AM
- Wednesday, Nov. 24 - 7:30 - 11:45 AM
- Thursday, Nov. 25 - 7:30 - 11:45 AM
- Friday, Nov. 26 - 7:30 - 11:45 AM
- Construction 101 & Beyond student binder
- Custom BONUS student resource manual:
- CCA 1: Stipulated Price Subcontract
- CCDC 2: Stipulated Price Contract
- CCDC 5A: Construction Management Contract – for Services
- CCDC 5B: Construction Management Contract – for Services and Construction
- Builders Lien Act Guide
Attendance and participation in all four sessions is mandatory for course completion.
This course is delivered in partnership with local construction associations across western Canada. You will be participating with industry peers from throughout these regions.
- 4 - CCA Gold Seal Credits
- 16 - BC Housing CPD points