This four session (16-hours) virtual workshop is designed for construction owners, managers, estimators, supervisors and staff to develop an understanding of the project processes and constraints encountered by project managers, using PMBoK 5th Edition approach, and how to successfully manage a complex project.
- Understand the importance of project planning
- Understand the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBoK 5th Ed)
- Use the appropriate CCDC/CCA contract and/or Purchase Orders for the project
- Use risk management tools and mitigate for risk
- Understand the estimating process
- Understand the importance of scheduling and use appropriate scheduling tools
- Understand expectations management and adapt communication accordingly
- Understand the components of projects – labour, materials and overheads – and use of techniques to maximize job profitability and minimize costs
- Do post-mortem analysis after project completion
- Understand the impact and methodology of construction cost control
- Use of site and office project cost control methods
- Use Construction Industry Codes to analyse costs vs budget
- Adapt the project estimate to a project budget
- Understand how job costing fits within the overall accounting systems
- Understand Return on Investment (ROI) and how this impacts required project profit margins
- Understand the contract process from bidding to project close-out
- Use of job profit forecasting methods to integrate into company forecasting systems
- Understand the importance of cash flow projections for construction companies
- Day 1: Monday, May 3: 8:30am-12:30pm
- Day 2: Tuesday, May 4: 8:30am-12:30pm
- Day 3: Wednesday, May 5: 8:30am-12:30pm
- Day 4: Thursday, May 6: 8:30am-12:30pm
Please note the following:
- You will receive an email with easy to follow instructions on how to join the virtual classroom 48 hours prior to the course date.
- Your course manual and handouts will also be emailed to you in a PDF format. It is recommended that you print the handouts as these will be the exercises to be completed in class. You may also want to print the manual to follow along if you do not have a second screen.
- All students are encouraged to use the chat function to ask questions, as well as speaker and microphone during open session discussions.
- 2 CCA Gold Seal Credits (Zoom sessions only)
- 5 CCA Gold Seal Credits (Zoom sessions plus online exam)
- 16 BC Housing CPD points