8th Annual Chair Dinner & Awards Celebrates Industry Leaders
On Wednesday, September 12th SICA held our annual Chair Dinner and Award Night where we celebrate member anniversaries, board volunteers, Gold Seal recipients, and scholarship recipients. In addition, this year we had the honor of awarding both a Consultant Award and the Innovation Award to deserving members.
The event was sponsored by Kelowna Toyota, GRM Sealants and Coatings, CapriCMW Insurance, JLT Canada and BCCA Employee Benefits.
SICA relies on our volunteers to make our association the successful organization it has been for 49 years. Our volunteers give up their time, knowledge and expertise to serve on various committees and board. We acknowledge our volunteers based on the volunteer positions they have held and attendance in these positions. In 2018 we acknowledge the following volunteers:
- Phil Long,
- Angela McKerlich
- Debra Dotschkat
- John Powers
- Tom Spatola
- Craig Main
- Karly Marshall
- Cameron Betts
- Jenny Hutchinson
- Vicki Topping
- Ryan Fairburn
- Shawn Parkes
- David Nardi
- Walter Dool
- Jeff Hanley
- Diana O’Dare
- Darren Tompkins
- Terry Brown
Emil Anderson Construction (EAC) was awarded the 2018 Innovation Award for their work on the Vedder Bridge Project in Chilliwack, BC. The design-build team at Emil Anderson Construction used a King Post system to cantilever the bridge into place, this allowed works to construct the bridge on land instead of spending thousands of hours working over the river at heights.
Al Carmel, P. Eng, of Falcon Engineering was awarded the 2018 Consultant Award for his tremendous understanding and knowledge of construction projects from the contractor’s point of view. This award is presented to an owner or consultant who has played an active role in supporting the industry.
Richard Owen of Interior Plumbing & Heating was the recipient of an Honorary SICA Membership for his support and involvement in the association over the years. Interior Plumbing & Heating is one of the 6 founding members of SICA and Richard has been a member of the board 3 separate times, in 1987, 1989-1998 and 2003-2008. Including the SICA Chair in 1992.
The Howard Strong Industry Builder Award was awarded to David Langton of Competition Glass. This award is given to an individual whom, through their actions over an extended period of time, has contributed in a manner beyond the expectation of daily business to enhance the construction industry, promote values of belonging to the association, and enhance the credibility of association members.
Every year SICA sponsors 10 scholarships in the amount of $1000 each to be applied to tuition and or textbooks for an apprenticeship in trades or construction related programs. This year 4 of the 10 scholarship recipients were able to join us for the Chair Dinner. Best of luck to this year’s scholarship recipients:
- Jennifer Karpuk
- Jaromy Waller
- Holly Whitlock
- Johnny Colovos
The CCA Gold Seal Certification Program is a national certification program for ICI construction managers in the occupations of estimator, superintendent, project manager, owner’s project manager, construction safety coordinator and foreman. This year we were able to present the following individuals with their Gold Seal Certification:
- Danuta Woktowicz
- Dimas Carvalho
- Joshua Curtis
- Stephen Folkerts
- Todd Horak
- Wade Johnson
In addition to the awards above, we recognize members who are celebrating membership anniversaries with SICA, members are honored for every five years of membership. While not all members are able to attend the Chair Dinner, we appreciate their dedication and commitment as a SICA member.
- Alpine Abatement Ltd.
- City of West Kelowna
- Coral Environments Ltd.
- D & S Electric Ltd.
- Forward Law LLP
- Gabe's Painting & Decorating Ltd.
- GTA Architecture Ltd.
- Kamloops Indian Band
- Latina Landscapes & Maintenance
- MNP LLP
- Norsteel Building Systems Ltd
- Radian Mechanical Inc
- Regional District of Central Okanagan
- School District #22 - Vernon
- Team Foundation Systems Ltd
- The Guarantee Co. of North America (GCNA)
- United Landscapes
- University of British Columbia - Okanagan Campus
- Vision Painting Ltd.
- Affordable Floors Ltd.
- BTR Fire Protection Ltd.
- CapriCMW Insurance Services Ltd. - Kamloops
- Chubb Edwards (Kelowna)
- Gateway Mechanical Services - Kelowna
- Geometrik Manufacturing Inc
- Glass Canada Inc.
- Houle Electric Limited - Kelowna
- School District #05 Southeast Kootenay
- Specialty Machine Works Ltd
- Systematic Mill Installations Ltd
- Westburne Electric Supply (BC) - Kamloops
- Andrew Sheret Ltd. - Penticton
- Christman Plumbing & Heating Ltd.
- Con-Ex Civil Contractors Ltd.
- Olympic Roofing Ltd
- Pro Crete Ltd.
- Steel-Craft Door Products Ltd. - Kelowna
- CapriCMW Insurance Services Ltd. - Vernon
- Eecol Electric (Sask) Corp. - Kamloops
- Expocrete Concrete Products Ltd (SICA)
- Glen McKillop & Associates Inc.
- Kone Inc.
- Pacific West Systems Supply Ltd.
- Pashco Blasting Ltd.
- Sun Valley Painting & Decorating Corp.
- Thermo Design Insulation Ltd.
- Convoy Supply Ltd. - Kelowna
- Corix Water Products LP (Vernon)
- CSL Masonry Ltd.
- Decor 8 Painting (1990) Ltd.
- Dilworth Painting & Decorating Ltd.
- MQN Architects
- Okanagan Fire Protection Services Ltd.
- Burnco Rock Products Ltd.
- Combined Mechanical Contractors Ltd.
- Cortez Construction Ltd.
- Dannburg Contract Floors Ltd.
- Harrison Industrial Contracting Ltd
- Heritage Roofing & Sheet Metal Ltd.
- Horizon North Manufacturing Inc.
- Howell Electric Ltd.
- Shanahan's Ltd. Partnership - Kelowna
- Competition Glass Co. Ltd.
- Convoy Supply Ltd. - Kamloops
- M. Weiss Masonry Inc.
- Lennox Industries Canada Ltd.
- M3 Steel Structures Ltd.
- Childs Chanton Chartered Professional Accountants
- Wesco Distribution Canada Inc. - Kamloops
View all the event photos on our Facebook Page.
EBT Flu Clinic Dates
Long Term Members 2022/2023
VRCA Awards of Excellence - Christman Plumbing & HeatingRead More
Farewell to our Education Admin and Hello to our new SICA staff 2022
MOTI and Infrastructure BC Seeking Interest From Qualified Firms For BC Highway Reinstatement Program RFQ
Prompt Payment Included in ‘Report on the Budget 2022 Consultation’
Regional Construction Associations Partner with BCCA Employee Benefit Trust to Provide Flu Shots for Industry
B.C. associations call on province to practice fair, transparent procurement
SICA announces 2020/2021 Industry Awards of Excellence Finalists
Kelowna Crane Incident Legacy Education Fund
Brooklyn Site Crane Accident Statement
Every Child Matters - Indigenous History Month
Latest Construction Industry Statistics Reveal Strength Despite Pandemic Challenges
BuildForce Canada releases annual 10-year forecast
SICA training courses prove practical and meaningful to students
Nomination Period Opens for SICA’s Industry Awards of Excellence
2019 Industry Awards of Excellence Winners
SICA announces 2019 Industry Awards of Excellence Finalists
Nominations sought for SICA’s Industry Awards of Excellence
50th Parallel Estate Winery Named Commercial Building Awards Winner
8th Annual Chair Dinner & Awards Celebrates Industry Leaders
Emil Anderson Construction Wins 2018 SICA Innovation Award
As a Member you are a part of a collective voice, the SICA voice. Together, our voice is changing the construction community and helping your business grow through advocacy, networking events, affinity programs, direct business leads and more. Our voices promotes fairness, transparency and open communication in the construction industry. Join SICA to grow your business today and be a voice for our industry tomorrow.JOIN NOW